Sunday, February 27, 2011

shake, rattle & roll


Christchurch, Tuesday, making some lunch. I didn't know I was in for an epic day of terror, tears and tremors. My story has been posted here.

These photos are progressions of how much worse my surroundings got after hundreds of aftershocks. Some people are asking if we are still getting aftershocks, YES, yes we are. The isn't a day that goes by that the mother earth doesn't hiss at us.

This crack in the road is just on the corner of where I was working and living, Pomeroys Pub. The first photo was taken just after the 6.3, the second photo, a couple hours later and the third photo, taken a couple of days later.



Eager to do something after a couple of days, my good mate Sarah sent a message out to help her clean up massive amounts of silt on her property. Mike and I had arrived and luckily the student army had cleared a path up the drive, but there was so much still there. We opened her garage door and it had crept in over a foot high. Everything in there was buried in this heavy clay, so compacted I could barely shovel.


My bestie Aidan was worried about her mate, so the evening of the quake, we ventured down Fitzgerald Ave, to get to Morgan. This is the road we trekked.


Just beyond the spilling water crack above was this tower (taken right after the 6.3, and about an hour after), situated behind the pub. Holding on by one white column, I'm happy that no one was inside.



The pub, still standing. 120 year old historic building and ready to be repaired! I was on the top floor in Aidan and mines flat when she shook like thunder.



This car park was directly behind the pub, this image was the first thing that I laid eyes on as I ran out of the flat and behind the building. I didn't know how bad it was...


Lucky to be alive. Lucky that all my friends and family are safe. Hearts and hugs go out to those who have lost loved ones in this charming city. It will be charming again, with many hands, and many hearts, Christchurch will be better than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment